2010-07-09 By: asdf0123

The MUET Result

Yesterday was a pleasant day, overall.

If you have read my previous posts, I bet you already knew the reason why I care so much about my MUET result. I was high Band 2 when I came Form 6, and I wish to go out with at least Band 4.

I was supposed to get the result on Thursday, but what happened was, I couldn't find my uniform in the morning, so I didn't go to school for class. After that I switched on the washing machine to get my cloths clean but my mother somehow found the red shirt that I should wear on Thursdays. It couldn't make any changes anyway, because the lessons had already started.

So I went to school after the class, to get the result and attend a meeting and a co-curricular activity. When I saw the teacher, she refused to give me, instead, she asked me to see another teacher and explain to her why I was not in school. I tried, but unfortunately the teacher was not there, so I came back to attend the meeting. Right after that I went for the co-curricular activity mentioned.

When everyone was ready to leave, I met the teacher again, and what she told me was "It's inside there, I'm not going to take out. I remember yours is a BAND 3. Erm, yeah, BAND 3." Haiz, what to do? Have to wait until Friday (yesterday).

However, I still tried to check via internet to get the result. After a couple of times trying, finally the page loaded. It showed some simple information, that are my IC number, name, index number and my band, of course. What it showed was different than what teacher told, which was a Band 4. Not much surprised however, because somehow I felt teacher might be correct.

On the following day, the first thing I did when I reached school was... Yeah, you're right. Finally I got my result officially. And here came a glad news, I was lucky enough to get Band 4, here's the detail.


Test Component
Maximum Score
Obtained Score
LISTENING
45
32
SPEAKING
45
30
READING
120
88
WRITING
90
55
AGGREGATED SCORE
300
205
BAND ACHIEVED
4

Why I said I'm lucky, it's because the test was so much harder than expected. According to my friend, there were a total of 12 students who got Band 2. 1 of the students even got Band 1. Another proof is, two students who should have got Band 6 only got Band 5, and they're the only two who got higher than Band 4. The rest are mostly Band 3.

Another lucky thing is, my score is slightly higher than my friend's. Guess how much higher? He got 204. Haha, there's a 1 mark difference, considered win? I told him I WILL retake if I can't beat him. By the way, I was not the only lucky person. There were some students who just crossed the border to get Band 4, congratulation, you're not going to resit the test anymore.

However, on the other side, some people were extremely unlucky. They got Band 2, with just 2-5 marks more to reach Band 3, which is the primary requirement to get into university. I heard that one of them broke down badly. It could be understood, since he could get a 4.0 CGPA but his MUET is crucial. It's just like everything is well prepared, but you can't get the key to open the door.

So, the next question will be whether to resit the paper. Band 4 is probably enough, but it's just slightly higher than the primary requirement. Could I get a higher Band? I need to get 15 marks more. I can, only if I am able to maintain the marks, with some improvement in speaking and writing, especially for writing. How hard it is, don't know, but probably the second test will be easier than this one. Should I spend another RM60? My decision is still processing, I'm going to think until my brain juice comes out.

Erm, there's nothing more to say. Cheers. Have a nice day.

___________________________________________________________

In case you don't know anything about MUET...

It's basically an English test which is ONLY recognized in Malaysia and Singapore, and it comes with an EXPIRY DATE as well. (Don't laugh!) The best thing about MUET is the price. The "Band" description is as follow:


AGGREGATED SCORE
BAND
260 – 300
6
220 – 259
5
180 – 219
4
140 – 179
3
100 – 139
2
< 100
1

0 comments: